[mythtv-users] Using seperate modes for GUI and playback results in

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Mon Aug 20 23:08:44 UTC 2007

>If i try to use separate modes for the GUI and different modes for
>different video source resolution results in a repeated image.
>Basically everything is shown twice on the screen, left to right. The
>problem persists even if myth is stopped. I have to restart X to
>correct it. Im using mythtv-0.20.1-161.fc6 on fc6 with the nvidia
>100.14.09 drivers. I can use these modes with xvidtune. I've had to
>specify

>Option "ModeValidation" "AllowInterlacedModes , NoVertRefreshCheck,
>NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"

There are two mode pools in X11, one you get via ctl-alt-+
and a superset of those available to programs. I would guess
that one of the latter isn't correct for your monitor.

The nvidia options that are of interest are at the end of
this post.

If disabling the extra modes stops the problem you can look
in Xorg.0.log to see what modes are constructed and binary
search which one is bad. I think you have to give the
verbose parameter to the X server to get them in the log
file.

>in xorg.conf because the video card (M2NPV-VN built in Nvidia 6150) can't read
>the EDID info from the plasma display. I don't know if that is
>relevent or not. I just tell it to use several modelines, which seem
>to work fine by themselves.

Or do you specify vert/horiz refresh rates? Are you sure
they are correct?

Can you get to the bad mode via ctl-alt-+ ?

HTH