[mythtv-users] Hardware for HD Playback

David George david at thegeorges.us
Thu Aug 23 16:31:04 UTC 2007

On 08/23/2007 11:51 AM, Chris Tepe wrote:
> With the change from Zap2it to SD probably requiring an upgrade I'm
> thinking of upgrading my hardware as well to support HD recording and
> play back.  I'm looking for some recommendations  as to MB, CPU, Memory
> and Video Card.  I will eventually have 1 master backend/frontend and 2+
> frontends.  I've looked at the hardware databases on the web but none
> really address the HD issue clearly.  My current systems are a couple of
> atholon 2300+ w/ nVidia gforce cards  and a HD Home run .  my playback
> was very choppy.

You don't mention your output method to your HDTV.  There are lots of
messages on this list about hardware.  Probably your best bet for good
matches would be to search the archives for "hd motherboard".

In any case, if you can use VGA, DVI-D, or component out the Asus
M2NPV-VM with an Athlon X2 3600+ works great for HD and you don't need
to resort to xvmc.  It includes onboard nVidia 6150 with the above
mentioned outputs.  I have several of these boards and they work great.

If you need HDMI output, I also use the Biostar TF7050-M2.  It doesn't
have component video output, but has VGA and HDMI output (and DVI-D
using the included HDMI to DVI adapter).

On my lunch break now, but if you search the list archives for the above
two motherboards you will see messages with more details that I and
others have left.

HTH,
David