[mythtv-users] Hardware for HD Playback

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Thu Aug 23 17:37:13 UTC 2007

> thinking of upgrading my hardware as well to support HD recording and
> play back.  I'm looking for some recommendations  as to MB, CPU, Memory
> and Video Card.  I will eventually have 1 master backend/frontend and 2+
> frontends.  I've looked at the hardware databases on the web but none

I went with the first generally available dual core CPU - an Athlon x2
3800.  It was perhaps the best upgrade I have ever made (from a 3500+).
Hi Def started working beautifully.

I think you will be OK with anything dual core, and a decent built-in
NVidia chip.  Mine is a 6150 and it is fine with 720p output, bob
deinterlacing from 1080i.  If I were going to start over I would get
2G of RAM and a pchdtv.com 5500 capture card.

Do NOT try to skimp on the CPU and get a non-dual-core CPU.  Even
hyperthreading would be a mistake IMO.

Mark