[mythtv-users] Using one lineup with multiple video sources (was Re: A hope regarding the new SchedulesDirect methodology)

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 20:17:06 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 08/23/2007 11:01 AM, Mercury Morris wrote:
> > On 8/23/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Well, it turns out that the ever-prolific coder, Daniel K., wrote the
> >> support for the DataDirect caching logic as he was writing the Schedules
> >> Direct code (and before David had time to write it).  The code has been
> >> checked into both trunk and -fixes, so anyone wishing to test the
> >> logic--with either Schedules Direct or Zap2It Labs (Z2L) DataDirect
> >> data--may do so.
> >>
> >> This change allows users who have multiple video sources that record
> >> from the same provider but have access to different channels to download
> >> the listings data once and use it for multiple video sources.
> > Mike,
> >
> > I have read and re-read your post several times,
>
> Sorry for being unclear.  The message may have the same number of words
> as one, but it doesn't read like a novel.
>
> >  but I still cannot see
> > how it works.  Maybe you can add some additional explanation.
> >
> > I have both PVR-250 and HD5000 cards, for NTSC-only and ATSC-only
> > channels, respectively.
>
> I'm assuming you're talking about receiving both analog and digital
> channels from the same cable provider.  If they're from different
> "providers" (i.e. analog cable channels and OTA digital channels), you
> should be able to create multiple lineups in the same account/same ZIP code.
>
> >   I use two adjacent ZIP codes to separate the
> > list of channels into NTSC and ATSC groups.  I did this to assign NTSC
> > recordings only to the PVR-250, and ATSC recordings only to the HD5000.
> >
> > You seem to be saying that there is a change that somehow figures out
> > how to do this automatically without two ZIP codes, but I don't understand
> > how that could be.  I am so confused.  What am I missing in your post?
> >
> > Thanks for any additional help you might be able to give.
> >

> Basically.  The change allows MythTV to download the listings from
> SD/Z2L once and cache the result for client-side (MythTV) filtering.
> MythTV will verify that a channel exists in one or more video source
> before it removes the channel from the SD/Z2L lineup.  That means you
> can create one lineup per provider and include all the channels from all
> the video sources that use that provider.  As long as you only define
> the channels you can receive on a particular input connection in the
> video source associated with that input connection, Myth knows it can
> only use those channels from the lineup.
>
> So, you create one lineup at SD/Z2L that contains all the channels you
> can get on your PVR-250 (analog channels) and on your HD-5000 (digital
> channels).  Then you configure both of your MythTV video sources to use
> that same lineup.  Since you've already configured which channels
> (xmltvid's/DD ID's) are available to which video source, both sources
> can use the same lineup--it just has extra channels which are ignored
> [...]

Mike,

It wasn't your explanation - it was my thick head.

There must be something new (new meaning that I have not seen it before)
in the mythtv-setup that allows XMLTVIDs to be defined as part of a Video
Source.  Whatever this new thing is (new code, ....), I'll just wait until I can
sign up with SchedulesDirect, then re-build from the then-current SVN, and
see what happens.

Thanks for your second explanation.  No more questions from me for a good
long while.

--
MM