[mythtv-users] beginners audio question

Alastair Kerr alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 11:24:37 UTC 2007

After several false starts at installing Mythtv (I can post my
experiences if there is an interest) I have a functional system. Audio
is working but I am not convinced that is it fully 5.1 surround sound:
probably just a stereo signal going to my speakers.  This whole area is
new to me as  the following questions will probably testify

Current setup:
ASRock mobo, P4 3GHz,
PVR-150 capturing a signal from a sky digibox box on the component input
(yellow/red/white)
(dusky controller to change channel)
Nvidia 7300 Graphics
5.1 speakers connected to the  the 3 green/orange/black sockets
I have install kubuntu with the Mythtv packages

The manual for the mobo states it uses a asc888 codec but alsa seems to
be using alc883

My Questions:
*  What is the best way to test the sound system, is there a good file I
could download to play and test the audio?
*  Should I try and change the audio codec used on asla? If so how?
*  I have and spdif header on the mobo, should I try and use this rather
than the 3 audio cables? If so is there an adaptor available to buy that
uses this header?
* I have an older Audigy 2 soundcard. Should I install this instead of
the mobos sound?

thanks
- Alastair

--
Alastair Kerr, Ph.D.,
Bioinformatician, Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology,