[mythtv-users] beginners audio question

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 14:30:06 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Alastair Kerr <alastair.kerr at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> After several false starts at installing Mythtv (I can post my
> experiences if there is an interest) I have a functional system. Audio
> is working but I am not convinced that is it fully 5.1 surround sound:
> probably just a stereo signal going to my speakers.  This whole area is
> new to me as  the following questions will probably testify
>
> Current setup:
> ASRock mobo, P4 3GHz,
> PVR-150 capturing a signal from a sky digibox box on the component input
> (yellow/red/white)
> (dusky controller to change channel)
> Nvidia 7300 Graphics
> 5.1 speakers connected to the  the 3 green/orange/black sockets
> I have install kubuntu with the Mythtv packages

AC3, or Dolby Digital, is as its name says: is digital. I don't know
much about the sky box, I understand that there are several models. I
assume you are using the PVR150 to capture your video from the
composite out of the digibox. For digital audio, in general, you need
to connect the digital audio output of your digibox to your digital
audio input on your PC to receive and record the AC3 signal. To hear
the recording, you must have an AC3 decoder, which I assume you have
in your HiFi or stereo equipment that is hooked up to your 5 speakers.
I don't know what the 3 green/orange/black sockets are that you refer
to. Does the digibox have speaker output? Or are they 3 sockets from
some other device.

--
brad fuller
 www.bradfuller.com