[mythtv-users] Any hope for 1080i content at 1080i with nVidia?

Preston Crow pc-mythtv07a at crowcastle.net
Fri Aug 24 14:33:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 17:54 -0700, Seth Daniel wrote:
> If I just use
> the EDID directly I would get a 'virtual' 1920x1080 screen where I could
> just view the top half (the first 540 lines) of the screen.  This
> appears to be a driver issue.  It used to work with the 7xxx and 8xxx
> driver (except that XV playback hard locked the system), but the 9xxx
> (and beyond) driver broke it.

Yup.  I'm using the latest 8xxx, and it seems to work fine for me with
the EDID timings for 1080i (using DVI->HDMI on a 5200FX card).

I'm not having the XV playback problem.

It does occasionally switch to the wrong video mode, but resetting it
(CTRL-ALT-BACKSPC) fixes that.

XvMC works fine for the video, but now I'm getting a subtle audio
stutter, and I haven't found any settings that help.  [With my Athlon
2500+, I need XvMC for 1080i to avoid pauses; 720p doesn't need it.]

I'm not using deinterlacing, and I haven't noticed a problem with 1080i
(or 480i, for that matter), but perhaps I'm just not that sensitive to
it.