[mythtv-users] Is VIA chipset bad for mythTV?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 16:42:19 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Rich West wrote:
>
> > I've heard the same, but I haven't had problems.
>
> Same here.  I wonder if part of it is because so many vendors build
> VIA motherboards -- some of the cheaper ones are probably shoddy
> designs.  I've been pretty loyal to Shuttle and I've never had the
> DMA problems that some people blame on VIA.

This is one of those "YMMV" situations. I installed quite a few
Shuttle systems (SS-25, IIRC) at a chain of sports bars in the Denver
area. Pretty much every unit died within 6-12 months.  Admittedly,
that sort of environment is hard on power supplies, but I didn't
expect CPU fans and motherboards to die in that situation.  There are
also the two SS-50s which I ordered from TigerDirect - both were DOA.
The components worked fine in other computers, so I fault the
motherboards in those systems.

> That said, Intel motherboards are really nice.  They're also quite
> expensive, and for some odd reason they don't support AMD CPUs. ;)

You can get _some_ Intel boards at Newegg.com for a decent price
(well, not "Jetway" or "PC Chips" prices, but Hondas cost more than
Hyundais).

> I tend to shy away from NVIDIA motherboard chipsets because there
> have been so many problems with the ethernet drivers for them.  The
> "forcedeth" driver seems to not be particularly stable, probably
> because it's reverse-engineered instead of based on a chipset spec.

To be fair, I have seen those sorts of problems, too. I even installed
Fedora 8 Test 1 on a system recently because the Fedora 7 install
kernel couldn't talk to the NIC.

As far as I'm concerned, ATI and Nvidia are in a race for my loyalty.
Whichever company opens its hardware specs first will be the company I
choose for AMD-compatible motherboard chipsets.

Calvin