[mythtv-users] Any hope for 1080i content at 1080i with nVidia?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Fri Aug 24 18:28:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 10:33:52AM -0400, Preston Crow wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 17:54 -0700, Seth Daniel wrote:
> > If I just use
> > the EDID directly I would get a 'virtual' 1920x1080 screen where I could
> > just view the top half (the first 540 lines) of the screen.  This
> > appears to be a driver issue.  It used to work with the 7xxx and 8xxx
> > driver (except that XV playback hard locked the system), but the 9xxx
> > (and beyond) driver broke it.
>
> Yup.  I'm using the latest 8xxx, and it seems to work fine for me with
> the EDID timings for 1080i (using DVI->HDMI on a 5200FX card).
>
> I'm not having the XV playback problem.
>
> It does occasionally switch to the wrong video mode, but resetting it
> (CTRL-ALT-BACKSPC) fixes that.
>
> XvMC works fine for the video, but now I'm getting a subtle audio
> stutter, and I haven't found any settings that help.  [With my Athlon
> 2500+, I need XvMC for 1080i to avoid pauses; 720p doesn't need it.]
>
> I'm not using deinterlacing, and I haven't noticed a problem with 1080i
> (or 480i, for that matter), but perhaps I'm just not that sensitive to
> it.

I was able to get the 8xxx working with the >= 2.6.19 kernel using the
following patch:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1086669#post1086669

I had to turn off XVideoTextureSyncToVBlank to stop the XV playback from
locking up.  Unfortunately this also caused awful tearing.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
When I was little, I went into a pet shop and they asked how big I'd get.