[mythtv-users] Any hope for 1080i content at 1080i with nVidia?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Fri Aug 24 18:35:11 UTC 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 11:29:46AM -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> If I try to use any of the built-in 1080i modes I only get the top 540 lines
> of the screen as well.  I think this bug is discussed here:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90084

yeah, I was involved in that thread.  I have it bookmarked for when I
need to show people all the issues involved with this particular bug.

> ...and they are apparently aware of it.  I wonder if by chance in addressing
> this, they may happen to actually fix interlacing.

Well, they've been aware of it for close to a year now.  They don't
publish their priorities so I wouldn't hold your breath.

> It kills me to hear that the 8xxx drivers actually handle 1080i correctly.
> My frontend has only PCI-E and, as far as I can see, there are no chipsets
> available on PCI-E that are supported by 8xxx drivers.  I'm not about to
> replace my frontend machine because nVidia hasn't addressed this.

I just responded with a caveat for this scenario.  At least in my case I
had to disable XV sync to vblank and it causes tearing...even when using
the 8xxx driver.

> For the time being, I've settled on using 1080i output (with a custom mode
> line) and using Viktor's patch here:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2903
>
> ...to allow bob deinterlacing, and that made a huge difference...not as good
> as it would look with the driver working correctly and no de-interlacing at
> all, but very good.

I'll try this.  Any idea if it will correctly apply to recent SVN?

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Vegetables are what food eats.