[mythtv-users] XBMC port to Linux and Mythtv

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 19:03:50 UTC 2007

> Thanks, the problem is I no longer have the initial conditions (xbox bios
> and dashboard) necessary to perform step 6.
>
>  Considering the xbox is just a PC, in theory, one should be able to arrive
> at the final state (xbmc installed) by a combination of re-flashing the bios
> and installing the necessary "operating system".
>
>  Before I dive into the forum that is linked to by that how-to, I wanted to
> see if any of the fairly tech-savvy folks on this list had encountered and
> dealt with this issue...

This isn't a simple proposition.  Without getting into gory details,
XBMC requires a hacked MS bios, a pre-compiled XBMC, and xbmcmythtv
python scripts, and a FatX (I think) formatted filesystem.

There are auto-installer disks that will set up a dashboard for you
(check out xbox-scene.com or google for more info) and give you the
ability to FTP the XBMC and xbmcmythtv files onto the harddrive.
These disks will blow away your current HD install, IIRC.

A relatively simple thing to do would be to flash your bios w/ a
hacked MS bios, and build an XBMC/xbmcmythtv DVD. (Instructions are on
the 'net).  The hacked MS bios would try to boot off the DVD drive
first, and pull up XBMC for you to use (or try out to be sure you want
to use it on your HD).  This will preserve your Linux install; you'd
just need to reflash cromwell to get back to where you are now.

If you _only_ want to use your xbox for XBMC, you can use a BIOS
editing tool and modify a hacked bios to load xbmc.xbe instead of
default.xbe. (This has the effect of auto-running XBMC instead of the
dashboard whenever you turn on the xbox.)

This is all rather far afield of MythTV. Xbox-scene.com is the site
you want (again, IIRC).

Sorry for not being terribly specific,  but I haven't looked into this
stuff in ages.

--PhillW.