[mythtv-users] XBMC port to Linux and Mythtv

Steve MacLaren scram69 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 16:34:20 UTC 2007

On 8/24/07, Phill Wiggin <alamar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks, the problem is I no longer have the initial conditions (xbox
> bios
> > and dashboard) necessary to perform step 6.
> >
> >  Considering the xbox is just a PC, in theory, one should be able to
> arrive
> > at the final state (xbmc installed) by a combination of re-flashing the
> bios
> > and installing the necessary "operating system".
> >
> >  Before I dive into the forum that is linked to by that how-to, I wanted
> > see if any of the fairly tech-savvy folks on this list had encountered
> and
> > dealt with this issue...
> >

> This isn't a simple proposition.  Without getting into gory details,
> XBMC requires a hacked MS bios, a pre-compiled XBMC, and xbmcmythtv
> python scripts, and a FatX (I think) formatted filesystem.
>
> There are auto-installer disks that will set up a dashboard for you
> (check out xbox-scene.com or google for more info) and give you the
> ability to FTP the XBMC and xbmcmythtv files onto the harddrive.
> These disks will blow away your current HD install, IIRC.

Not a problem, I've ftp'd everything I wanted off the thing under Xebian.

A relatively simple thing to do would be to flash your bios w/ a
> hacked MS bios, and build an XBMC/xbmcmythtv DVD. (Instructions are on
> the 'net).  The hacked MS bios would try to boot off the DVD drive
> first, and pull up XBMC for you to use (or try out to be sure you want
> to use it on your HD).  This will preserve your Linux install; you'd
> just need to reflash cromwell to get back to where you are now.
>
> If you _only_ want to use your xbox for XBMC, you can use a BIOS
> editing tool and modify a hacked bios to load xbmc.xbe instead of
> default.xbe. (This has the effect of auto-running XBMC instead of the
> dashboard whenever you turn on the xbox.)

Thanks for the guidance and the tip about xbmc.xbe.  Yes, I only want to use
this as an XBMC mythFE.

This is all rather far afield of MythTV. Xbox-scene.com is the site
> you want (again, IIRC).
>
> Sorry for not being terribly specific,  but I haven't looked into this
> stuff in ages.

Phill,  I appreciate your help.  I've already started combing through the
X-S forum for details.  Like I said, the intention is to turn the box into a
dedicated mythFE.  I just wanted to get a better understanding of the
process from those here who may have done it themselves.