[mythtv-users] upgrading from ver 18.1 to 20 on FC3

Tom E Craddock, Jr sigtom at sigtom.com
Sat Aug 25 19:06:56 UTC 2007

sabruner3 at juno.com wrote:
> Currently I am running mythtv version 18.1 and have been for the last serveral years.  I did not upgrade be all was working fine.  Now with the change away from zap2it I need to upgrade and apt-get no longer works.  It appears that the files no longer exist for fc3.  Can someone assist me in upgrading.  If necessary I can rebuild but this is rather painful.  If I do rebuild I would like to atleast keep the history of shows that I have watched so that I do not have to have them all recorded again.  I know that there are some database changes in the version changes but I do not know what.  Also I do not know what databases to maintain.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc1.3

The above link has info on how to backup your database.  Then you can
either, build from source if you dont want to upgrade from FC3, or just
go to FC 7 or 8, then install RPMs from Axel's repo (they are avail now
he said in an earlier post).  If you want to keep your old shows and
database, hopefully the shows are on a diff partition/HDD from the rest
of your system, and store your db backup somewhere (flash drive, CD,
email etc) to await the upgrade.

The mailing list and wiki already has plenty of info to help, so get a
searching.

Tom