[mythtv-users] New channels not inserted for firewire

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Aug 26 04:15:58 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 20:42 -0600, Curtis Stanford wrote:
> When switching to SD, I accidentally deleted all my channels. I could
> not for the life of me get the 'Fetch Channel' feature in mythtv-
> setup to work or the mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates to work.
> After looking at the code in datadirect.cpp at line 733, it calls
> update_channel_basic using the is_encoder value, which is false for a
> firewire connection. As a result, update_channel_basic will never
> insert a channel. When I commented this out, it worked fine.
>
> I may be reading it wrong, but I can't see how a new channel would
> ever get inserted for a firewire video source.

Have you tried the new "--do-not-filter-new-channels" mythfilldatabase
option to get the channels inserted?

Firewire is an odd case because it's digital but it doesn't have a
channel scanner*. It should probably be treated as an analog encoder
until we have a channel scanner for it. I added the
--do-not-filter-new-channels option to deal cases like this until
I can write up something better.

* It still doesn't have a channel scanner right? I began writing one,
  but I don't remember finishing it. The scanner figured out all the
  channels that were 5C encrypted and left those out of the lineup.

-- Daniel