[mythtv-users] Dual Core or Dual CPU??

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 08:23:41 UTC 2007

On 8/25/07, Piers Kittel <mailing at biased.org> wrote:
> On 25 Aug 2007, at 12:22, Gert van der Knokke wrote:
> > This CPU consumes, even though it is dual-core, at most 45 Watts and
> > with the proper tools it should do a lot less when idling.
>
> Hmm.  My backend has a VIA EPIA MII motherboard with a 1.2GHz
> Nehemiah processor using kernel version 2.6.22.  How would I go
> around to making sure the processor and hard drive uses the least
> power when doing nothing which is most of the time?

Install powertop (see linuxpowertop.org for more info, most "current"
distros have it available), run it and check that your processor
spends the majority of it's time in the highest C-states. If you have
a power meter such as a Kill-a-watt, that will help you determine if
what you're doing makes a difference or not (highly recommended).

-Dave