[mythtv-users] Sound problems

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 26 12:34:44 UTC 2007

On 08/26/2007 06:46 AM, Piers Kittel wrote:
> First of all, I'm deaf, so I have no experience or much idea about
> sound in any situation - let alone setting it up under Linux.  I just
> had to reinstall Debian Etch on one of my frontends which is running
> an AMD Athlon 800MHz processor on a SiS motherboard with integrated
> stuff, and a Geforce MX 4000 video card.
>
> My main problem is that my girlfriend is hearing and requires sound,
> also when playing a DVD via MythTV, I get spews of "Error opening
> audio device (dev/dsp), the error was: No such file or directory"
> making the DVD video jerk badly rendering it unwatchable.

Make sure you load the OSS-emulation modules for ALSA (snd_pcm_oss,
snd_mixer_oss, and possibly snd_seq_oss).  Then, check your /dev/
directory structure for "dsp*" files (may be under /dev/snd/dsp or some
other subdir).  Finally change your audio output device to the device
you've found (you can change values by typing into the combo box).

Or, assuming you have ALSA properly configured, type in ALSA:default for
audio output device and default for mixer device.

You may need to set permissions appropriately.  Usually, most distros
just require adding the user (mythtv or whomever) to the audio group.

HTH.

Mike