[mythtv-users] My Upgade Dilema with FC5

Jim Scott jimdscott at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 12:30:07 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> I'm currently running FC5 so I need to to do something with the OS, as
> well as upgrade myth and start using Schedules Direct. I have had a lot
> of problems in the past with the backend crashing if I delete a
> recording while something else is being recorded, even with the "Slow
> deletes" enabled. IIRC the problem is the file system I'm running, which
> is ext3. Also IIRC, jfs seems to be the file system of choice by many.
>
> So if I decide to upgrade, I'm trying to figure out which OS to go with.
> For me, it's either stay with the FC line and most likely jump to FC7,
> or it's go with CentOS 5. From what I can tell, atrpms has the upgraded
> myth packages for el5, which I believe would work for CentOS 5.
>
> Any suggestions here?

I upgraded from FC5 to F7 yesterday using atrpms. I did not change my file
system. The myth upgrade actually went smoothly. I had to uninstall some
obsolete packages to make yum happy, but installing the myth packages was
very easy.

A couple of things to watch out for. First, F7 has a new naming convention
for drives, so my autofs mount system had to be updated. I think all I had
to do was to change my /etc/auto.misc so that /dev/sdb1 mounted instead of
/dev/hdb1. Second, upgrading the kernel caused lirc and my nvidia driver to
break. The lirc issue was simple. I installed the correct package from
atrpms. I couldn't get the nvidia driver from atrpms to work with my new
kernel, so I downloaded nvidia's installer. That worked fine after a reboot.