[mythtv-users] My Upgade Dilema with FC5

CHRIS KOTTING ckotting at wideopenwest.com
Mon Aug 27 13:58:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:45:08 -0400, James Pifer wrote
> I'm currently running FC5 so I need to to do something with the OS,
>  as well as upgrade myth and start using Schedules Direct. I have
> had a lot of problems in the past with the backend crashing if I
> delete a recording while something else is being recorded, even with
> the "Slow deletes" enabled. IIRC the problem is the file system I'm
> running, which is ext3. Also IIRC, jfs seems to be the file system
> of choice by many.
>
> So if I decide to upgrade, I'm trying to figure out which OS to go with.
> For me, it's either stay with the FC line and most likely jump to
> FC7, or it's go with CentOS 5. From what I can tell, atrpms has the
upgraded
> myth packages for el5, which I believe would work for CentOS 5.
>
> Any suggestions here?
>
> Also, at what point do I upgrade myth? What I mean is, I'll back up
> my current DB and all the associated recordings, etc. If I then
> rebuild the system, am I going to run into a problem because of the
> newer version of myth that will be installed? I don't think I can
> upgrade myth BEFORE upgrading the OS because it looks like the FC5
> yum mirrors are gone now.
>
> OR, do I do the upgrade, install myth, and then import from my back
> up before starting myth. When I start mythbackend the first time
> will it do the necessary schema updates, etc?
>
> Thanks,
> James

James -

First off, I wouldn't try to go with Fedora 7.  My understanding is that
there are known problems with anaconda on Fedora 7.  I would consider either
FC6 or CentOS for now.  I've been using xfs with no worries (when I set up
initally, jfs was reported to be problematic for some, not so now).

FWIW, An upgrade to FC6 and a "yum update" to get the latest packages from
Axel and running mythtv-setup followed by mythfilldatabase was all that was
required to get my combined Frontend/Backend transitioned from Zap2It to
SD.  I might be tempted to go that route for the moment, and do the CentOS
upgrade at your leisure.

Hope that helps...

Chris K.