[mythtv-users] Looking for new DVB-S+CAM based backend hardware recommendations

Phil Jordan lists at philjordan.eu
Mon Aug 27 15:28:38 UTC 2007

Nick F wrote:
> On 8/26/07, *Phil Jordan* <lists at philjordan.eu
> <mailto:lists at philjordan.eu>> wrote:
>
>     With that out of the way, the available DVB-S tuners with CI slots or
>     adapters I could find are:
>
>     [1] "DigitalRise DVB-S PCI Sat CI (1034)" (seems to be a rebranded
>     Twinhan "1034")
>     [2] "Twinhan VisionDTV DVB-S PCI Sat CI (1030A/1032A)"
>     [3] "DigitalRise DVB-S2 PCI Sat CI (1041)" (seems to be a rebranded
>     Twinhan "1041")
>     [4] "TechnoTrend Budget S-1500, PCI" combined with "TechnoTrend TT
>     Budget CI extension"
>

> I use your option [4] which works well with Myth in the UK.  Support is
> built in to most recent kernels and is an 'out the box' solution.
Good to hear it works, thanks for the advice.

> I've
> not tried one, but was advised to avoid S2 cards for now since Linux
> support isn't mature.  BBC HD doesn't currently need S2 support.

BBC HD seems to be encoded as H.264 at 1440x1080, at least on DVB-T from
the Crystal Palace transmitter. I've tried recording and playing it, and
it won't decode it in realtime, even on my Core2 Duo E6600. That's from
mythfrontend or just playing the file in mplayer or xine. My guess is
I've either messed up my config, my binaries aren't compiled right
(packman for OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64) or libavcodec is just too
inefficient. Have you had any luck with the HD stuff?

Thanks also to Wim for the advice, good to hear it reinforced!

phil