[mythtv-users] Latest MythTV with SD on Gentoo

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 27 17:37:54 UTC 2007

>From: glen martin
>
># MythTV 0.20.2 pre-release, masked due to ABI
># change that requires plugin rebuild
>
>I also see that there are no 0.20.2 versioned plugin ebuilds yet, if
>those would be required to meet the ABI needs.
>
>glen

The ABI change simply means that the plugins need to be recompiled after
installing the new version of mythtv (as noted in mythtv ticket 3842).
However there are 0.20.2_p14282 versions in portage for all the plugins now,
though they're still hard masked:

equery list -p myth|grep 0.20.2
media-plugins/mytharchive-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythbrowser-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythcontrols-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythdvd-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythflix-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythgallery-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythgame-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythmusic-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythnews-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythphone-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythvideo-0.20.2_p14282
media-plugins/mythweather-0.20.2_p14282
media-tv/mythtv-0.20.2_p14282
www-apps/mythweb-0.20.2_p14282
x11-themes/mythtv-themes-0.20.2_p14282

I went ahead yesterday and unmasked those versions of what I was using
(mythtv, mythtv-themes, mythvideo, and mythdvd) by adding them to my
package.unmask and my package.keywords files.  The upgrade went fine.

Note that I'm not recommending unmasking hard masked packages!!...I usually
never do...but  I made sure to back up the database and knew I could get
back in a worst case scenario, and it worked fine for me.  I'll probably
re-install once they're unmasked just in case the ebuilds were in any state
of flux while they were hard masked.

Also note that, looking here:

http://gentoo-portage.com/media-tv/mythtv

...it appears that there's now a newer version of 0.20.2 (SVN 14307) in
portage...so it's possible that that may get unmasked rather than SVN 14282.

All in all, I was thrilled at how easy my upgrade was...including the switch
to SD.  Great work on everyone's part!

Tom