[mythtv-users] Improving linking to the MythTV HOWTO

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 00:08:55 UTC 2007

On 27/08/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that in the HOWTO's TOC, when copying links (as I often do
> to answer questions for users), the anchors used are in the format
> <chapter>.<section> (i.e.
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5 ).  However, links
> within the document use the named anchors (i.e.
> http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#advanced_backend_config is
> linked from section 9.1 Configuring the Master backend).  The numeric
> format links are made obsolete when the structure of the document
> changes, but the named links will remain usable as long as the named
> anchor exists.
>
> Since I know nothing about docbook (or whatever we use to create the
> HTML from the SGML), I was wondering if it's possible to cause the named
> links to be used in the TOC.  I'm happy to put in some work to make this
> happen (i.e. if we need more named anchors or something), but I'm hoping
> someone with more experience can tell me whether it's even possible.

Just looking at the source it seems there are two anchor for each link
in the text - a named anchor and a section-numbered anchor. E.g.:

<A NAME="capture_resolution_"></A> <A NAME="ss23.3">23.3</A> <A
HREF="mythtv-HOWTO.html#toc23.3">What capture resolution should I use?
 How does video work? </A>

I would guess that creating the TOC should allow using either anchor,
unless there is something hardcoded in the TOC-creation step.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/