[mythtv-users] Cox Communications has turned off Firewire output

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Tue Aug 28 00:39:52 UTC 2007

Tom Greer wrote:
> Cox Communications in Orange County, CA has disabled the IEEE1394
> output on all of their cable boxes.
>
> I called Technical Support this afternoon and spoke to a supervisor,
> who informed me that this was a Cox Cable corporate decision.
>
> When I informed him that this violated FCC regulations, he simply
> repeated the new policy.
>
> I promptly informed him that I was going to file a complaint with the
> FCC - and immediately start the process of switching my telephone,
> internet provider and cable TV service elsewhere.
>
> I have filed a complaint with the FCC.
>
> FYI, The specific FCC regulation that requires this is 47cfr76.640
> where it says:
>
> (4) Cable operators shall:
>
> (i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any
> leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a
> functional IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional
> IEEE 1394 interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download
> or other means to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional.
>
> (ii) Effective July 1, 2005, include both a DVI or HDMI interface and
> an IEEE 1394 interface on all high definition set-top boxes acquired
> by a cable operator for distribution to customers.
>
> I'm not entirely convinced this is a nationwide issue.  Perhaps, we
> have a local yokel here that is feeling his Wheaties.  Is anyone else
> having this problem?
>
> Tom

Tom:  Can you take the time and call again, get a name and then follow
up with a complaint for fraud to the SEC.
http://www.sec.gov/complaint/selectconduct.shtml
Just the facts, of course, and they can give it a label.  The CA
attorney general needs to know as well.  They should be able to help you
determine corporate info to share so anyone can register complaints
about their business practices.  These guys operate nationally, so a
top-down policy might be affecting a lot of folks.
Tom