[mythtv-users] My Upgade Dilema with FC5

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Aug 28 04:56:15 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 12:31 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I decided to go ahead with a new install, because right now is the best
> time to do it (before the TV season starts).
>
> So I started the install for CentOS 5 and find that my only options for
> file system are ext2 and ext3. Do I need to install the system as one of
> these on a smaller partition, then add support for JFS afterward, then
> use the rest of the free space? That seems to be the case, but want to
> make sure.

Yep!  I reinstalled my MBE on a couple of days ago from FC5 to Centos5.
The data partition was (and still is) xfs.  So I installed on existing
partitions (/ and /boot), and left the xfs partition alone.  (This may
not be applicable in your case.)  It went down like this:

1. make full backup of host
2. make full backup of database (which I forgot to do - D'oh!)
3. install Centos5 onto existing / and /boot partitions
4. install additional repos
5. install kmod-xfs from centos extras
6. patch
7. install additional services
8. install myth dependencies
9. restore /var/lib/mysql (because I, like a dumbass, forgot step 2.
Fortunately, I got lucky in that it worked.)
10. restore /usr/local/src (which is where I keep my copy of myth svn)
11. build myth (same version of before)
12. Test and tweak. Repeat until satisfied
13. make full backup of the system

If not too tired from the above steps, then I'm safe to take the plunge
going to a new svn version.  And I was too tired on Saturday.  So I did
the svn upgrade Sunday...

	-I