[mythtv-users] Cox Communications has turned off Firewire output

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 28 16:21:06 UTC 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 17:03 -0700, Tom Greer wrote:
>> Cox Communications in Orange County, CA has disabled the IEEE1394
>> output on all of their cable boxes.
>>
>> I promptly informed him that I was going to file a complaint with the
>> FCC - and immediately start the process of switching my telephone,
>> internet provider and cable TV service elsewhere.
>
> Don't drop them yet, you may lose standing. Also the FCC isn't really
> keen on enforcing any law against cable companies or broadcasters,
> they file complaints by non-multi-million dollar donors, not about
> an exposed breast, in the circular file. Orange County probably has
> a Public Service Commission, contact them and also contact the
> California PSC. The PSC's have the ability to forbid Cox from
> operating
> in Orange County or California, resp. And these local entities are
> often not in the pocket of the cable operator and will often get
> brazenly illegal policies such as this reversed in a matter of hours.

Seconded.

The thing to keep in mind is that, while the FCC has a lot of power
over broadcast media, their power over media that goes over private
infrastructure is relatively weak.  Your local public service
commission probably has more influence over your local cable
company.  In smaller towns it may be the city council itself you want
to talk to.  Either way, some entity has signed a franchise agreement
with the cable company allowing them to operate as a monopoly in your
area.  Often these agreements contain requirements the cable company
has to meet, like providing low-cost basic service or funding a
public access channel.  Firewire access is probably too new an issue
to be included, but if you talk to the right people and educate them,
maybe you can get them to push for it next time the agreement is
renewed.