[mythtv-users] EIT Scanner queries

Piers Kittel mailing at biased.org
Tue Aug 28 17:19:12 UTC 2007

On 28 Aug 2007, at 01:43, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 00:18 +0100, Piers Kittel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My backend currently collects program data via the EIT scanner, but
>> I've got a few queries:
>>
>> Is the data collection continuous, or is it like once per hour?
>
> Continuous once it starts. In mythtv-setup, under "1. General"
> on the EIT page you can set the "Backend Idle Before EIT Crawl"
> which is normally set to 60 seconds. To this time is added a
> short interval, originally random, but I believe it is based
> on the cardid in some newer versions. This avoids all the cards
> starting up the EIT crawl at once and overloading the system.

The reason why I ask this is that I recently came across PowerTOP.  I
decided to have a look what my server does and how to reduce as much
power as possible.  I've done everything, and the biggest culprit
causing potential high electricity usage is both of my video tuners -
they cause the CPU to wake up from idle.  Each time the CPU changes
state consumes electricity.  The cards cause the CPU to switch from
sleep to idle and back to sleep maybe 300 times per second.  I
suspect it's due to the EIT scanner - someone supplied a patch to
disable the IR receiver which didn't make any difference.  I don't
really want to stop using the EIT scanner as I find the data from the
EIT scanner to be a lot more reliable and a lot more easy to set-up
than XMLTV.  So I've got another question...  I'm sure you've got a
good, sensible and reasonable answer for this but... is it *really*
necessary for the EIT scanner to run continuously?  Why not just
something like once a hour?  It's not like that the program data
changes every 5 mins?

Thanks again for your time!

Regards - Piers