[mythtv-users] Fans and cooling

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Aug 28 17:40:00 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 01:07:10PM +1000, Phill Edwards wrote:
> Funnily enough, it occurred to me only this week that I may have
> installed it the wrong way up!  I'd be interested to hear people's
> comments (sorry if this steals your thread a bit, but if you decide to
> install a fan this way you'll need to know the answer to this anyway).
> I have a Zalman power supply (which I presume expels air from the
> case?) so I should have installed the fan on the top of the case to
> pull air in, rather than suck air out, shouldn't I? That way the air
> flow would be working properly. At the moment, I think I might have 2
> fans fighting against each other to suck air out of opposite ends of
> the case. Comments anyone?

In general, fans should blow *onto* the components they're cooling, as
power supply fans do (they cool *the power supply*).  CPU fans are the
exception (they suck air through the heatsink), and occasionally those
case fans right next to the CPU fan.

One important point that isn't made *nearly* frequently enough to suit
me is this: the nominal temperature inside your computer case is
roughly 20F *above* the nominal temperature of the room it's in, best
case.

What's the temperature of *your* room?

Cheers,
-- jra