[mythtv-users] Considering Switch from Fedora to Ubuntu

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 01:49:03 UTC 2007

On 8/28/07, joe.white at wachovia.com <joe.white at wachovia.com> wrote:

> I have used Fedora with my MythTV box since I first discovered this list a
> few years ago.  Primarily, because of Jarod's guide.  With the new release,
> I am considering switching over to Feisty Fawn to be consistent with my
> other Linux boxes.  Naturally, I have been reading various install guides in
> an attempt to suss out how to best accomplish my goal.  I have not yet found
> what seems to be a complete HOWTO on the subject and I have the feeling that
> Myth on Feisty may be problematic, specifically with regards to sound and
> iirc.  Am I reading things correctly?  Or have I just beeen reading the
> gloomy postings?
>
> Thanks,
> jw

I was in a similar situation a while back.  All my myth boxes were on
Fedora; but my desktop had wandered from distro to distro until I found
Ubuntu.  Once I had locked into Ubuntu for my personal workstation, I found
alternating between Fedora and Ubuntu somewhat bothersome.

Mario used to have a great how-to for Feisty posted on his website, which I
used.  It's no longer there.  But the install is almost as easy as running
Synaptic and installing the mythtv packages.  I am sure that the links
provided by others above will work well for you.

My biggest problem was getting lirc to work.  Here is a site that gives a
great how-to for lirc: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_Lirc_Feisty

I have never regretted moving from Fedora to Ubuntu for my myth boxes.  But
I still remember the nightmares over past struggles with package dependency
conflicts with yum (and even SMART).  Since moving to Ubuntu, I've never had
any of those problems.

Good luck.

Tom