[mythtv-users] mythfrontend playback problems after rebuild

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Aug 29 14:02:57 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 21:29 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I've rebuilt my combo frontend/backend system with FC7 to get up to date
> and move to Schedules Direct (haven't made this jump yet). Recordings
> are working great, but playback is awful. The sound is either echoing,
> tinny, or even weirder, it sounds like multiple recordings are playing
> back at the same time.
>
> Playing videos in mythvideo give similar tinny or echoing. So it's
> something with the sound system.
>
> Hardware stayed exactly the same. Obviously software changed a lot.
> FC5 -> FC7
> Myth 0.20.1 (not exactly sure) -> 0.20.2-163.fc7

I rebooted this morning and now sound is working but lirc is hosed. I
had to mess with lirc yesterday to get it working, somehow I think
that's what messed up the sound.

I'm getting this error with lirc:
lircd-0.8.3-CVS[3469]: could not open /dev/lirc

I'm trying to do things that have worked for other people, but it's not
working for me. I've tried modifying /etc/udev/rules.d/lirc.rules by
commenting the first line or changing the second line to:
KERNEL=="lirc0", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="lirc"

Neither have worked. Right now the file is back to the original:
KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", NAME="lirc%n", MODE="0660", GROUP="lirc"
KERNEL=="lirc0", SYMLINK="lirc"

I have this in my modprobe.conf:
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_i2c

I did modprobe lirc_i2c and restarted lirc and still do not
have /dev/lirc.

I'm going to keep trying things, but does anyone know why the symlink is
not getting created for /dev/lirc?

Thanks,
James