[mythtv-users] DirecTV D10-300 Serial Interface

Blaine Nelson blaine.m.nelson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 22:36:41 UTC 2007

This is going to kill me.

Fellas, thanks for the ideas, but still nothing.

First I tried Dave's idea of using the dtv control program on a windows
laptop.  Tried this with all the command sets.  New, old, D10-100 etc.
Tried both /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1.  So this seems to indicate either a
failed cable or a failed d10-300 box.  (But, it could also be that this
program doesn't work with the D10-300?  Yes?  Or, I guess it could mean the
serial port is screwed up on my laptop).

Going with the former hypothesis, that the cable might be broken, I dug up
my volt ohm meter and checked the cable.  It seems to be wired correctly.
That is, testing indicates it's wired like so:

Modular 4P4C adapter wiring  DE9F Modular 4P4C Wire Color  5 1 Black  2 2
Red  3 4 Yellow

Ok, so next hypothesis.  Busted receiver.  Well, I bought two of these
things on ebay with the hope of eventually getting two pvr cards rolling.
So, I have another one laying around.  Great, right?  Another test.
Unfortunately, directv doesn't allow you to transfer the access card number
to new receivers.  They make you buy a new card, $20!  I wouldn't mind if I
knew this worked b/c I need the card anyways for two pvrs.   But, it seems
like alot of money if I'm just going to have to go back to the drawing board
and buy d10-100s (vice 300s) or some other receiver.

But, wait.  Maybe I could test the basic operations, e.g. turn-on, turn-off,
get channel etc., without actually having access to the satellite data
feed.  This possibility got me real excited and I jumped out of bed, ran to
the basement to try it.  Only to realize, that with the d10-300, you need
the software upgrade that comes down off the satellite.  Ugh.

Have you guys had the same experience with Directv?  $20 buckets just to
change receivers?

If I have to buy new receivers, which model would you recommend as the most
forgiving?

Again, thanks for all your ideas.