[mythtv-users] Erroneous reporting of Previously Recorded?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Aug 30 16:07:29 UTC 2007

On 08/30/2007 06:02 AM, Dave Diamond wrote:
> I'm running MythDora 4 and the latest MythTV, the one with the SD update.
>
> I've noticed lately -- really, just since the update -- that shows that
> are supposed to record every day are reporting "This episode was
> previously recorded and is still available in the list of recordings."

Do you see a message in your logs about a failed database upgrade?

> Is it possible that the update to SD could have affected my database and
> how it keeps track of what it has and hasn't recorded before?  Is there
> any way to start fresh, clean out all of the programming that
> mythfilldatabase can then restore?

If you've a failed DB update, you should revert to the pre-upgrade
backup of your DB and try again.

Another possibility is that you (or your MySQL installation/MySQL
upgrades) had previously messed with the encoding of your DB and when
the DB update ran and reset the DB to the proper encoding, columns (like
programid) were converted from VARCHAR(20) to VARCHAR(6).  There are a
/lot/ of bad posts on the list (and probably information in the wiki)
that tell users to do bad things to the encoding (convert tables to
UTF8) to support different locales.  The posts are bad because they do
things completely differently from how MythTV was designed to do things
and--even worse--they /appear/ to work when the changes are made.
However, they will completely break the DB data when the DB is later
upgraded, so they are, in fact, DB time bombs.  Also, on many distros,
upgrading from MySQL 4 to MySQL 5 causes the same conversion to UTF8, so
upgrading MySQL without upgrading MythTV can "plant" the time bomb, too.

Mike