[mythtv-users] Stop recording live TV when inactive

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Aug 31 16:18:50 UTC 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 9:12 AM, David Meixner wrote:

> Is there a way to automatically stop recording live TV if there’s
> been no user interaction for a certain amount of time?  For
> example, if there’s been no button presses for an hour, the
> frontend will return to the main menu.  I ask because sometimes
> people will turn off the television without exiting live TV so the
> backend continues to record and takes up hard drive space.

No, but I solved that problem with a Harmony remote. When I press the
power off button on my remote, it sends a signal to turn off the TV
and receiver and sends a signal to bring Myth to the main menu. If
you don't want to buy a harmony or some other similar macro-capable
remote (I had a $20 one from radio shack that did simple macros), you
might be able to make your IR receiver recognize the TV off command
and bring myth to the main menu when it gets it.