[mythtv-users] FIOS Channels over Firewire

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 19:46:16 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, gfmeriaux at verizon.net <gfmeriaux at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I live in the Boston area and I am thinking to get FIOS TV.
> It is my understanding reading previous posts that all the local channels are available in both SD and HD digital unencrypted on the cable and can be received directly with for example an HDHomeRun device.
>
> Verizon is offering a QIP-6200 STB which has Firewire support with Mythtv.
> Has somebody experience using firewire with FIOS?
> What channels others than locals can I received unencrypted  over firewire ?

We read you loud and clear out here in mythtv-users land.  I have
Verizon FIOS (in the Philadelphia area), and I'm currently getting HD
via QAM using an AverTV A180 board.  I first tried using firewire out
of the QIP-6200, and found three channels that had the copy-once bit
turned on (i.e. they came out scrambled over the firewire).  Verizon
acknowledged that none of the OTA should be scrambled, and at first
claimed it wasn't their fault.  I was a squeeky wheel and eventually
they started looking into it, but in the meantime I got fed up and
switched to the QAM route, where none of the OTA channels had any
problems.

This was at least six months ago, so who knows, it may be better now.

I found that only the SD and HD versions of local channels were
available over QAM and firewire.  None of premium or non-premium
digital channels were, not even the SD non-premiums.

-Jerry