[mythtv-users] Building a second frontend for an old TV

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 31 21:35:32 UTC 2007

> My wife really likes MythTV on our family room set so
> I have been asked if to set it up for the TV in the
> bedroom also.  It's a several year old 19 inch tube
> with composite video and RCA audio inputs and is not
> HD capable.

    You can do a small test.

    Grab one of your recordings. Setup one of your regular
PC's to decode it (laptop, desktop, backend). Set your screen
resolution to 480p. For 4:3 this would just be 640:480.

     Run your frontend on the box setup like that or just play
the recording file with xine or something.

     See what happens.

     It should just scale the video.

     However, it will be decoding the whole thing so you will
still need something with enough muscle to run as an HD frontend.

     Try duplicating the frontend you already have if you can
get away with it. This will ensure that your chosen configuration
will work for your house and you will have a bit of backup hardware.