[mythtv-users] Issues with shared NFS media store

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Sat Dec 1 15:13:26 UTC 2007

On Dec 1, 2007, at 7:42 AM, Steve Rencontre wrote:
> Possibly irrelevant, but used+avail is nothing remotely like the
> alleged
> total, coming up about 36G short, and now I come to look at it,
> total>used+avail on every single disk on every single Linux system I
> have immediate access to. There's definitely something I don't
> understand!

All filesystems reserve some space that isn't available to the user.
The "Total" column of df shows the available + used + reserved. The
amount of space reserved can be calculated by reserved = total - avail
- used. The reserved space is generally used for filesystem metadata,
backup blocks, etc. On some filesystems you can tune this. For
example, "mke2fs -m 1" reserves only 1% instead of the default 5% of
the file system for super-user. On a multi-terabyte filesystem this
can have a huge impact.

--
Scott