[mythtv-users] Rectangle pixels cause jerky playback in widescreen but fine in 4:3?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Dec 3 03:47:03 UTC 2007

nospam312 wrote:
>> Have you modified any of your recording profiles lately?  Especially the
>> bitrate?
>>
>> More details would be helpful - CPU, video card, distro and version, etc.
>
> I am using DVB-T cards so to my knowledge it is grabbing the stream
> direct from the broadcaster.  When I run with no DisplaySize to a
> monitor, 1650x1080 works fine so I think the graphics card is up to
> the job.  I am using the latest Mythbuntu with the provided fixes
> packages applied.
>
> Oddly the problem seems to disappear if I enable some kind of
> deinterlacer but this seems to use CPU power and as I am outputting
> via a VGA-SCART adapter to a normal 720x576i PAL TV (which is
> interlaced) I do not understand how the TV can distinguish between 4:3
> and 16:9 I am guessing it is something that Myth/GFX card drivers may
> be doing?
>
> Any help appreciated.  TIA.

Well, you could try playing back some of your 16:9 recordings using
mplayer, and if the problem persists, you can at least rule out Myth.

You could also try to find some 16:9 sample video, and try to play them
back using both myth (via mythvideo - use the internal player) and also
mplayer.

You should be able to narrow down whether it's Myth or your X setup or
your graphics card driver or something.

Sorry I don't know more about X - maybe someone else can chime in.