[mythtv-users] Xbox 360 HD-DVD

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Dec 3 07:17:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 23:28 -0600, jedi wrote:

>      What HD disc formats are playable under Linux these days? Which
> ones
> aren't (like BD+)? I don't really want to have to buy some win32 app
> so
> I can rip something before adding it to my DVD jukebox.

You can play BD and HD-DVD on Linux, without waiting for a complete rip
or using a windows application.

You need a Java application to read the disk, using a key list. What
that software outputs is directly dumped into mplayer (minimum rc2) and
is displayed on your TV, in real time.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

It is not yet possible to automate the process in a script, the java app
is a GUI, but it is quite fast to setup. I'm also confident that this
will en-up pretty rapidly in a proper fashion into a nice player near
you, in an automated way.

mplayer supports vc-1 (wmv9) and h264, once decrypted, very nicely.

Sure, this may be illegal in you country. But if it is, it is not more
illegal than playing DVDs using mplayer, which breaks a protection too.

For the time being I am playing VC-1 rips made outside of my mythtv box,
as it doesn't have an HD format piece of hardware. But it will, the LG
BD/HD-DVD multi-format player in now below $300...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133&Tpk=GGC-H20L

Nico