[mythtv-users] Xbox 360 HD-DVD

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 3 15:00:37 UTC 2007

> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Dec 3, 2007 4:26 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>>>   It's kind of like saying mp3 players aren't convenient because
>>> you have to take that extra step to rip the albums.
>>>

>> Ripping a CD takes 5 minutes, or a few seconds for a song. You can
>> also take the converted MP3 songs with you everywhere because it is so
>> small in size.

    Ripping a CD takes 5 minutes now.

    Ripping a CD didn't take 5 minutes back when ripping CD's started
to get popular. If mp3 users were like all of you people whining that
it takes a little while to rip something, the format would never have
taken off in the first place.

    Yeah, you might have to put the disc in the drive and go do
something else (perhaps watch another show, or <gasp> do something
besides watch a show). Boo Hoo.

    So you watch the video at some time other than the precise
moment it first goes into your (HD)DVD reader. Big deal.

>> A HD-DVD rip is huge, so until they make flash based devices with say
>> 300TB, people aren't going to rip HD-DVD and kip the image.
>> it's just too big !
>
> I have seen a 70TB device in the compact flash form factor,
> unfortunately it cost upwards of $30,000 at this time.
>
> But I certainly recall when a 1GB HDD was just a dream.

    Why wait for devices using a particular memory/disk technology?
All of the really impatient end users aren't so bothered. There are
already consumer (portable) video players that have enough space for
6 unaltered HD movies.

    There are portable players that have more disk than some of the
HD set top boxes being sold/rented.