[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 20:06:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 2:19 PM, James Gutshall Jr <warchildx at gmail.com> wrote:
> "downsampled content via SVideo"
>
> Doesnt this, by definition change the content to NOT HD?  I agree that it
> provides a way to watch the channel, but for some, the the HD channel is
> also available in analog, thus the problem isnt watching that particular
> program.  the problem is that we want to record, and watch later, the
> program in question.... in HD quality.

Well you have to decide what your intent is.  Is your intent to have
excellent picture quality, clear sharp images, and a convenient, easy
to use television recording system for premium content, or are you
completely set on having buzzword compliant 1080p images regardless of
how much better or worse the image looks as an absolute comparison, in
order to psychologically justify the additional cost of going "all
HD"?

At some point you need to decide what your standard is.  Absolute
perfection is spiffy and all, but it gets expensive buying those film
strips for the projector you have set up in your in-home stadium
seating auditorium.....

The simple answer is, No, there is no universally available way of
getting uncompressed High Definition premium content into MythTV.  You
can very likely, however, get significantly close to HD content into
MythTV without a great deal of difficulty via svideo, and sometimes
perfect images via firewire.  You, and you alone, can decide if that's
good enough for you.

One thing is for sure, though.  The settop DVRs mostly suck compared
to MythTV overall.

Ry