[mythtv-users] TV card evolution

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 3 22:48:01 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 09:06:07AM +0100, Bart Coninckx wrote:
>>> If you get your resolution, bitrate etc. set up properly you can get
>>> very close to the "regular way".
>>>
>>> If casual viewers see a problem, I'd guess you have not set things up as
>>> well as they could be.
>> I've tried a bunch of recording profile settings, with high bitrates,
>> deinterlacing etc. but none lead to a satisfying result.
>>
>> Would you share with us what you did to get to your results?
>
> I think it might be more productive if you can describe, in quite
> detailed technical terms (which may not be easy) precisely in what
> fashion you feel your output doesn't match your input.  There are
> millions of ways to get it both right and wrong, but many fewer ways to
> fix specific problems.

I agree with you, but there is one thing to do first: figure out if the
loss of quality is happening in the recording or the playback. This can
be done using a known good test recording, or taking a Myth-recorded
file and playing it back on a different system known to do a good job
with mpeg2.

A lot of problems attributed to video capture are actually due to poor
video output and/or bad mpeg decoding.

beww