[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:58:06 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 3:26 PM, David Linville <dlinvill at networksdown.com> wrote:
> On 12/3/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> You'll get about that quality from down-sampled S-Video
> > that started as HD quality. Saves a ton of disk space, too. I was
> > thinking about upgrading my DirecTV to HD for this specific scenario.
> >

> Wouldn't you end up with black bars on the top and bottom recording that
> way?  If so that would kill quite a bit of extra resolution.
>
> David

I was thinking the same think as I read through this thread.  DVDs
look pretty nice on my HD set because (most of them) fill nearly the
entire screen, so are using the full 720x480 res as best they can.  I
would imagine, that s-video delivered HD is more like 640x480, then
still including the black bars.  Can someone tell us that's not true?
I hope it's not.

- Willy