[mythtv-users] OT: Increasing Console Buffer Size in Fedora

David George david at thegeorges.us
Wed Dec 5 16:21:17 UTC 2007

On 12/05/2007 10:59 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> The env variable HISTSIZE sets the size of the buffer which keeps your
> command history.
>
> Does anyone know how to increase the size of the console display buffer?
> Is this an env variable?
>
> I want to increase the size of whatever it is that keeps console screen
> output so I can scroll back "further in time" in the output.

I don't know of any way to change the console scrollback buffer.
Careful if you switch between console vt's because it clears the
scrollback.  Anyway probably easiest way it to do it inside a command
prompt in a GUI.  Usually their scrollback buffers are configurable.
> I have just been fighting with mythfilldatabase not creating temporary
> tables. Turned out to be a permissions problem, which I very luckily
> only got to see by *anticipating* when to hit Control-C, to stop output
> to the console before what I needed to see had scrolled off. I never did
> get it at the correct time in order to see output from the first line...

If you are using bash, or any sh-like shell, you can capture stdout and
stderr to a file with the following:

mythfilldatabase > mfd.log 2>&1

Then you can look at the file all you want.

I don't use csh or tcsh, but they probably have similar methods.

HTH,
David