[mythtv-users] Migrating LVM partition?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 17:33:18 UTC 2007

I have my BE running on one PATA harddrive and just took
the plunge to get a second HD, this time a SATA2 HD so I
can separate the video recording storage from the OS and
mySQL storage.

How do I go about moving the /video partition, which is currently
in an LVM on the old drive onto the new drive in a normal ext3
partition and convert the LVM partition into a normal ext3 partition
for other file storage?

My plan for the initial steps is to power down the system, connect
the new drive, and reboot to a live-CD based distro, like knoppix.
Then I use something like qtparted to format the new HD and make
a single partition out of the whole disk for use as the new /video.

How do I get from there to where I'm ready to add the new partition
to /etc/fstab with /video as it's mountpoint and reboot into the
normal operating environment?

It seems that dd would be inappropriate since I want to move files,
not a disk image, but should I use tar, dump, or something else?

Also, how do I go about dismantling the LVM settings so I can
redefine the partition as an ext3 partition?

Craig.