[mythtv-users] Getting started

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:11:09 UTC 2007

On 12/4/07, Marc Chamberlin <marc at marcchamberlin.com> wrote:
> My first issue to immediately address is getting the remote control working.
> Not having much luck but have made some headway... I have set up the LIRC
> daemon and got it running. Downloaded and placed an lirc.conf file for the
> Hauppauge 350 remote into /etc, and the lircrc file in the .mythtv directory
> for my mythtv user. Also copied the lircd.conf file into /etc from the SuSE
> distribution as instructed. I then executed the irw to test the remote. Here
> I get mixed results, it seems to recognize many of the key pushes, but not
> all. And the mapping to the name the system understands does not always
> correlate to what the key pushed was, for example if I push the key for
> menu, the response in the irw output seems to think I selected the code to
> map into the system name - Mute, and vice versa...

Looking in the kernel source I see where the keytables are defined.
Here is a snippet:

/* generic RC5 keytable                                          */
/* see http://users.pandora.be/nenya/electronics/rc5/codes00.htm */
/* used by old (black) Hauppauge remotes                         */
IR_KEYTAB_TYPE ir_codes_rc5_tv[IR_KEYTAB_SIZE] = {

        [ 0x0b ] = KEY_CHANNEL,         /* channel / program (japan: 11) */
        [ 0x0c ] = KEY_POWER,           /* standby */
        [ 0x0d ] = KEY_MUTE,            /* mute / demute */
        [ 0x0f ] = KEY_TV,              /* display */

/* Hauppauge: the newer, gray remotes (seems there are multiple
* slightly different versions), shipped with cx88+ivtv cards.
* almost rc5 coding, but some non-standard keys */
IR_KEYTAB_TYPE ir_codes_hauppauge_new[IR_KEYTAB_SIZE] = {
        [ 0x0c ] = KEY_RADIO,
        [ 0x0d ] = KEY_MENU,
        [ 0x0e ] = KEY_SUBTITLE,        /* also the # key */
        [ 0x0f ] = KEY_MUTE,

So it sounds like you have the gray remote but the kernel has
installed the keytab for the black one?  Or something like that?

There is a module parameter to set which one:

static int hauppauge = 0;
module_param(hauppauge, int, 0644);    /* Choose Hauppauge remote */
MODULE_PARM_DESC(hauppauge, "Specify Hauppauge remote: 0=black, 1=grey
(defaults to 0)");

So something like adding:

options ir-kbd-i2c hauppauge=1

to your /etc/modprobe.conf might solve the problem for you.