[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu vs Mythdora for Hauppauge PVR350+150 system

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:09:24 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

My MythTV system is running Fedora Core 6 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6, installed
some months ago using Jarod's guide. My capture cards are (as
described in the subject) a Hauppauge PVR350 and a PVR150. To watch
recorded shows, I use the PVR350 TV Out. I managed to break LIRC while
trying to add the PVR150 IR blaster, then the IR blaster from
irblaster.info, yada yada yada, I have no remote control now, and my
WAF has taken a hit. As a result, I am investigating which of the fine
packaged MythTV solutions would be best for my situation, when I am
ready to reinstall in a few weeks. I am comfortable with Fedora after
having fought my way through several MythTV installations with Jarod's
help. My concern is that I had every imaginable problem installing
Fedora Core 6 on my system: error identifying my processor type, black
screen on output, accelerated audio, etc. I have installed Ubuntu on a
laptop, but I am not as familiar with the config files.

Could you provide me some pros/cons of each package? Is there an
upgrade path to FC7 with Mythdora? How well would Mythbuntu
recognize/configure my IR Blaster, two capture cards and the TV Out?

Thanks,

Fred

P.S. I have downloaded the Mythbuntu live CD and I like it a lot. I
also have viewed the online installation videos for Mythdora 4.