[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu vs Mythdora for Hauppauge PVR350+150 system

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 01:44:17 UTC 2007

Fred Firestine wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My MythTV system is running Fedora Core 6 2.6.20-1.2925.fc6, installed
> some months ago using Jarod's guide. My capture cards are (as
> described in the subject) a Hauppauge PVR350 and a PVR150. To watch
> recorded shows, I use the PVR350 TV Out. I managed to break LIRC while
> trying to add the PVR150 IR blaster, then the IR blaster from
> irblaster.info, yada yada yada, I have no remote control now, and my
> WAF has taken a hit. As a result, I am investigating which of the fine
> packaged MythTV solutions would be best for my situation, when I am
> ready to reinstall in a few weeks. I am comfortable with Fedora after
> having fought my way through several MythTV installations with Jarod's
> help. My concern is that I had every imaginable problem installing
> Fedora Core 6 on my system: error identifying my processor type, black
> screen on output, accelerated audio, etc. I have installed Ubuntu on a
> laptop, but I am not as familiar with the config files.
>
> Could you provide me some pros/cons of each package? Is there an
> upgrade path to FC7 with Mythdora? How well would Mythbuntu
> recognize/configure my IR Blaster, two capture cards and the TV Out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred
>
> P.S. I have downloaded the Mythbuntu live CD and I like it a lot. I
> also have viewed the online installation videos for Mythdora 4.
Well I can tell you offhand there is a little bit of extra work involved for
Mythbuntu wrg to the PVR-350 output as well as the IR blaster.

Neither of these have automated solutions within this release.  You will need to
install mythtv from gutsy-proposed to get the fix for pvr-350 output as well as
install a package from a PPA.

For the IR blaster, this will depend on if you have a remote also.

Thanks,

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com