[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Thu Dec 6 06:50:53 UTC 2007

>> Oh, I bet the copyright holder is oblivious.
>>
>> The ISP was unhappy. They're mad you found a way to use what they
>> sold you.
>
> ... to break the law.
>
> Not the place for discussion of downloading copyrighted content.
>
> Mike

Mike, I know you have to be "politically correct" to keep the sharks from
biting your legs off.  I understand.

<soapbox>

However, I don't think that it's unreasonable to allow us to speak our
minds about the fact that we're all incredibly pissed off about the fact
that we are not allowed to record content from channels which we pay a lot
of money to receive.  I built a Myth box because I was completely
dissatisfied with the quality and capabilities of the crappy DVRs which
are forced upon us by the cable/sat companies.  If I'm allowed to record
with their DVR, I should be able to do it with my Myth box.  I'm mad
enough that I'm even considering spending a boatload of cash to get a
component-input card which will capture at 720p or 1080p - just so I can
use my Myth box to enjoy the content I pay for at the time I wish to view
it.  I'm not making DVD copies of these recordings and selling them (or
doing anything else illegal with them)...I wouldn't be able to, even if I
wanted to - because, as the previous posters mentioned, anyone with an ISP
other than a cable provider can download them with BitTorrent anyway.

And, honestly, I don't have a problem with that, either, only because it
will force the media companies to open up.  Downloading MP3 files is
illegal, too - and I sympathize with the artists who lost money because of
that - but so many people did it that we can now buy legal, DRM-free music
for 89 cents on Amazon.  The same thing needs to happen with TV content.
I'd pay a couple bucks a month more for the ability to record all of my
available channels over QAM, or even FireWire.  Hell, when I'm paying
$100/month for cable TV, what's another $5?

So, again, I don't see any problems with letting us vent, as long as it
doesn't get TOO off-topic.  I'm sure that you would be happier if you
could use your Myth box to record content from all the HD channels you pay
for, too.  ;-)

</soapbox>

Bob