[mythtv-users] Kernel 2.6.22, IVTV 1.0.0, and PVR-350

scott at tbwifi.ca scott at tbwifi.ca
Fri Dec 7 00:31:06 UTC 2007

> Mitch Gore wrote:
>>
>> In a situation like this i would really say to use a pre-built distro
>> like
>> mythbuntu or mythdora.  Or follow jarods guide.  Jarod's guide is for
>> FC6
>> but it works just the same with F8.  It pretty much cut and paste.  Then
>> once you get ATRPM's statble version installed you can upgrade to
>> ATRPM's
>> SVN builds or follow the guide on the wiki for Fedora how to build SVN
>> which
>> picks right up where Jarods guide stopped.
>>
>> Also, Within the MythTV community Fedora and Ubuntu are the most used
>> and
>> more people will be capable of giving you assistance.
>>
>> Just a thought.
>>
> If you're aiming this at the OP, you're probably correct. Hoever, if
> Mandriva is
> what the OP has, and he's comfortable with it, then he may find it easier
> to fix
> than to start learning a different distro.
>
> If you're aiming it at me, I run a mix of machines that do a lot more than
> just
> run Mythtv, as I have a distressingly long history in IT. So my use of
> Mandriva
> is purely force of habit. And, if I were to decide to change, it would be
> *lot* of effort to convert my system(s). I can, and do, use other distros
> as
> appropriate. I tried [K,X]Ubuntu and didn't like them. Ugh. Fedora? Dunno,
> I may
> have a look at Centos when I get some spare time, I don't need
> bleeding-edge.
>
> But thanks for the thought.
>
> Mike Perkins

Thank you guys for your input.  In my case I am very green to Linux (< 2
years or so). I actually chose Mandriva (Mandrake at the time) because the
best howto I found, which Jarod wrote I believe, was for Mandrake 10.2.  I
have leared Linux on Mandrake and I would likely find it fairly
challanging to move to something else now.  I use this new box for
everything; not just Myth.  I have an older version of Myth running on an
older version of Mandriva and this will be my third Myth build.  I seem to
be having trouble becuase I am closer to the cutting edge of hardware and
kernel.  Mike, if you recall we chatted back when I was trying to get 2007
working with IVTV 0.7 and 2.6.17, but it never worked out.  Hans (IVTV)
had many suggestions that came up dry and he suggested to move to a newer
kernel beyond 2.6.17.  In the Mandriva world that pushed me to the latest
release.

I don't think my problems are primarily distro related however.  I suspect
I am stuck with a kernel version that needs a couple of tweaks related to
the Myth version (likely an SVN version), an IVTV patch or update, and
some other things.  If anyone has some pointers I would love to hear it.
Please don't just toss my post aside becuase it contains the word
Mandriva.

Thanks Gang!
I'll beat this thing yet.
Scott