[mythtv-users] Getting started

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Fri Dec 7 02:29:19 UTC 2007

Michael Rice wrote:
> On 12/4/07, Marc Chamberlin <marc at marcchamberlin.com> wrote:
>
>> My first issue to immediately address is getting the remote control working.
>> Not having much luck but have made some headway... I have set up the LIRC
>> daemon and got it running. Downloaded and placed an lirc.conf file for the
>> Hauppauge 350 remote into /etc, and the lircrc file in the .mythtv directory
>> for my mythtv user. Also copied the lircd.conf file into /etc from the SuSE
>> distribution as instructed. I then executed the irw to test the remote. Here
>> I get mixed results, it seems to recognize many of the key pushes, but not
>> all. And the mapping to the name the system understands does not always
>> correlate to what the key pushed was, for example if I push the key for
>> menu, the response in the irw output seems to think I selected the code to
>> map into the system name - Mute, and vice versa...
>>

> Looking in the kernel source I see where the keytables are defined.
> Here is a snippet:
>
> /* generic RC5 keytable                                          */
> /* see http://users.pandora.be/nenya/electronics/rc5/codes00.htm */
> /* used by old (black) Hauppauge remotes                         */
> IR_KEYTAB_TYPE ir_codes_rc5_tv[IR_KEYTAB_SIZE] = {

>         [ 0x0b ] = KEY_CHANNEL,         /* channel / program (japan: 11) */
>         [ 0x0c ] = KEY_POWER,           /* standby */
>         [ 0x0d ] = KEY_MUTE,            /* mute / demute */
>         [ 0x0f ] = KEY_TV,              /* display */

> /* Hauppauge: the newer, gray remotes (seems there are multiple
> * slightly different versions), shipped with cx88+ivtv cards.
> * almost rc5 coding, but some non-standard keys */
> IR_KEYTAB_TYPE ir_codes_hauppauge_new[IR_KEYTAB_SIZE] = {
>         [ 0x0c ] = KEY_RADIO,
>         [ 0x0d ] = KEY_MENU,
>         [ 0x0e ] = KEY_SUBTITLE,        /* also the # key */
>         [ 0x0f ] = KEY_MUTE,
>
> So it sounds like you have the gray remote but the kernel has
> installed the keytab for the black one?  Or something like that?
>
> There is a module parameter to set which one:
>
> static int hauppauge = 0;
> module_param(hauppauge, int, 0644);    /* Choose Hauppauge remote */
> MODULE_PARM_DESC(hauppauge, "Specify Hauppauge remote: 0=black, 1=grey
> (defaults to 0)");
>
> So something like adding:
>
> options ir-kbd-i2c hauppauge=1
>
> to your /etc/modprobe.conf might solve the problem for you.

Thanks again Michael. Your suggestion has made a big difference and
seems to be on the right track. irw now recognizes all the keys from the
Hauppauge remote! That said, I gotta admit I was TOTALLY confused about
the model on how to configure remotes for Linux (at least as far as SuSE
Linux is concerned.) Since this seems to be starting to work, it also
implies that the config file lirc.conf is no longer needed/used??? And
it also implies there is an internal translator that KNOWS about
Hauppauge remotes (by that I mean it does not have to be told what the
codes are for the remote via the lirc.conf file) and maps their input IR
signals from the Hauppauge remote into the tokens that the lirc daemon
can use for outputting?? If so, while I can understand on the one hand
that someone is trying to make things easier for us users, the existing
instructions are going to confuse the heck out of everyone! No wonder I
was lost!

Anywise, I did a bit of experimentation with the lircrc configuration
file that MythTV is using.. It now seems that instead of using the
button names that were defined in the lirc.conf file, we now use the
token names defined in the lircd.conf file. So to get the Channel
up/down buttons to work, I changed the button name in the lircrc file
from CH+ and CH- (as had been originally supplied in both the lircrc and
lirc.conf that I had picked up for this remote) to CHANNELUP and
CHANNELDOWN which are defined in the lircd.conf file. AND THAT WORKED!!
Therefore I must conclude that the mapping model of the lircrc file has
changed (sometime recently) FROM mapping input signals that correlate to
keys on a remote to keyboard keys TO mapping tokens produced by the
lircd daemon to keyboard keys. (Hmmm makes me wonder if SuSE/Linux can
still handle new remote definitions...)

Could you let me know if I got my head wrapped around the model
correctly now? If so, then this model and your trick of selecting the
correct module parameter option for this Hauppauge remote really needs
to be documented somewhere. (I couldn't find any such, and you were able
to figure it out apparently by digging into the code base..)

   Marc...