[mythtv-users] Fedora 8 bug looking for help

Dan Wilson dwilson at dslextreme.com
Fri Dec 7 05:43:17 UTC 2007

On 12/6/2007 at 10:11 PM Mitch Gore wrote:

> Im just afraid that its going to cause problems then i am going to be
> stuck
> rebuilding everything with F7 clean install.  If thats the case i would
> rather just leave the server alone and wait for F9.  If i do F7 im going
> be in the same situation in 6 months.

Be careful.  I had a similar problem with Fedora 7 - I couldn't install onto a SATA drive because the fedora install hung at boot time (at a "Ready" notice after selecting the "Install" option from the initial menu).  I finally put an IDE drive into the system for my boot disk and was able to install F7 on that.  I saw the same problem again when I tried to upgrade to F8.

I am now running CentOS 5.1 instead of F8, and it seems very stable and well-behaved.  The only problem I have with CentOS is the scarcity of packages for normal desktop use - I have had to go to 3rd party repositories (besides atrpms, which I expected to have to use for packages myth needs), and I still can't get everything I could easily get for Fedora.  At this point, I'm thinking CentOS still isn't quite ready for full-bore workstation and software-development use.

In the mid-term, I will put together a network file server, move my Raid arrays from my main workstation to that server, and use another box that I have available as a pure BE, with both of those systems running CentOS.  Then I'll probably give Fedora a try again on my workstation.

> Does Fedora ever update the ISO's for a version or do they just leave it
> alone?  Seems kind of dumb that they would just leave it alone when some
> people cant even install the OS if they moved from Windows.

I've never known them to update the ISOs.

HTH,

Dan.