[mythtv-users] Getting started

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Fri Dec 7 06:26:21 UTC 2007

Michael Rice wrote:

> What is the URL to the instructions you are following.  I am curious now...
> Anyway someone who uses SuSE can chime in since I don't know anything
> specific about it.

Well I can't say I am following a cookbook set of instructions, per say... Tried to piece together what I would have to do from several different websites, among them -

http://www.jonas.io/
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Suse_Howto#Remote_Control_.28LIRC.29
http://www.lirc.org/

>> Anywise, I did a bit of experimentation with the lircrc configuration file
>> that MythTV is using.. It now seems that instead of using the button names
>> that were defined in the lirc.conf file, we now use the token names defined
>> in the lircd.conf file. So to get the Channel up/down buttons to work, I
>> changed the button name in the lircrc file from CH+ and CH- (as had been
>> originally supplied in both the lircrc and lirc.conf that I had picked up
>> for this remote) to CHANNELUP and CHANNELDOWN which are defined in the
>> lircd.conf file. AND THAT WORKED!! Therefore I must conclude that the
>> mapping model of the lircrc file has changed (sometime recently) FROM
>> mapping input signals that correlate to keys on a remote to keyboard keys TO
>> mapping tokens produced by the lircd daemon to keyboard keys. (Hmmm makes me
>> wonder if SuSE/Linux can still handle new remote definitions...)
>>

> Well I don't know what "recent" means in the SuSE world but I've not noticed any
> big changes in the two years I've been using MythTv on Fedora.
>
> It sounds like you are on the right track though.  The lircd.conf and lircrc are
> all you should need.

Apparently you are correct, but if you read the websites I went to, they
all imply there are three files that we need to be concerned about...
Hence my confusion.

>> Could you let me know if I got my head wrapped around the model correctly
>> now? If so, then this model and your trick of selecting the correct module
>> parameter option for this Hauppauge remote really needs to be documented
>> somewhere. (I couldn't find any such, and you were able to figure it out
>> apparently by digging into the code base..)
>>

> I happen to be familiar with the kernel code for remotes since I have to apply
> a patch to get one of my remotes to work.  Certainly one shouldn't have to
> know this kind of stuff to get a 350 remote working.
>
> BTW, I don't see a lot of MythTV users using SuSE.  Unless you have a
> particular
> reason for doing so you might be better off with Fedora, Debian, or
> Ubuntu or one
> of the MythTV distros like Mythdora.

I been a user of SuSE for quite some time now and there are MythTV/SuSE
users around. It is the distro I am most familiar with, use it at work
as well as at home, so not sure I want to learn another one. Again
thanks a million for your help, still hoping someone will be able to
answer my other questions and I am sure I will be posting a few more
before I get this fully configured...

   Marc..